;

Ephesians 2:8-9 (NKJV)

Started by Michael:D, March 25, 2015, 11:10:23 AM

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

Michael:D

For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God,
not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Dave T

Christians should be very thankful that we are not judged by our works. Just imagine how tough it could be to get to Heaven if that was the case. Hallelujah for God's grace and mercy.

GregD

I wonder if we really understand what this verse is saying. Let's break the verse down a little.

For by Grace you have been saved - Nothing said here about being "good enough", it is by Gods unearned favor. We don't have to DO anything.

through faith - All we have to DO is believe it. (sounds a little contradictory, but read on, here is where it gets really cool)

and that not of ourselves; it is the gift of God - What is the gift of God? Faith!!! How cool is that? Not only do we NOT have to be good, it is only faith that saves us, but we don't even provide the faith... God presents the faith to us as a gift. We literally have nothing to do. It is all God. He graciously saves us and He GIVES us the faith to believe it. Why would He do that?

not of works, lest anyone should boast - God knows, that if we had anything to do with our salvation, we would walk around Heaven with our noses in the air bragging about how "I made a good decision and they didn't, I decided to believe" That would be boasting. That can't happen now because God, through Jesus Christ, did it all and then gives us the faith to believe it.

What a gracious and loving God we serve.

Go Up